I arrived at school pick-up last week to the sound of delighted shrieks, jets of water and flashing lights. Exactly what was going on?! Sophie Apperly and the Prep team tells us –
The Melbourne Fire Brigade visits the Preps each year over a two-week period to deliver their Fire Education Program. The Program delivered by fire fighters helps the children develop a basic understanding of fire safety and also helps them to see firefighters as community helpers.
The ‘Fire Ed for Preps’ education program is one of the highlights for the Preps. Here are a few of the Preps’ written reflections on what they saw or what they liked when the BIG RED TRUCK came to visit.
The Preps enjoyed the Program and learnt:
• Firefighters are our friends
• Fires can be good (safe) and bad (unsafe)
• Good (safe) fires always have an adult in charge
• Smoke alarms alert us to the presence of smoke and fire
• ‘Crawl down low and go, go, go’ when evacuating a smoke-filled room
• ‘Stop, drop, cover and roll’ if your clothes are on fire
• Every family needs to identify a safe meeting place
• The number to phone for emergency help is 000
• The Preps enjoyed the thrill of climbing high up into the fire engine to see inside, and
• The Preps held a real firefighting hose squirting water high and far
SO MUCH FUN!