It was all bells and whistles for the Preps last week – Sophie Apperly tells us about a visit from some fire-fighters.
Over two sessions the Preps learnt about fire safety while experiencing a little bit of the world of a fireman or firewoman.
The Preps learnt…
• The difference between good fires and bad fires
• The importance of a home escape plan with a safe meeting place for the family
• About installing smoke alarms in the house
• To “Stop Drop Cover Roll’’ if someone is covered in flames
• How to “Crawl Down Low and Go, Go, Go” to avoid dangerous smoke
• Experienced the thrill of climbing up into the fire engine to see inside
• Held a real firefighting hose to squirt water higher and further than any garden hose they had ever used before
• Witnessed a real life rescue right in front of their eyes as one firefighter used his extremely long ladder to retrieve a yellow Sherrin football from the top of the Junior School Hall.
Olivia: I liked it when I went into the fire engine.
Jimmy: I learnt about crawl down low.
Will: I learnt to get down low and go, go, go!
Sophie H: I squirted the hose and it was fun.
Sarah: On Wednesday afternoon I got to go into the firetruck.
Max: I learnt that a good fire is when everyone is safe.
Charlie: I liked squirting the hose.